Thursday, November 15, 2007

Feeding Frenzy

How time flies. I have not been able to type in a post in a long time, even though I worked on several of the exercises. So today I will try to get caught up.

I love the concept of of newsreaders and news feeds. It's like a favorites file that you can access anywhere.
Anyway my favorite search tool was Technorati, simply because it is up to date and it gives you relevant hits for your requests. I love the page layout it is colorful and attractive. I searched for thanksgiving recipes and it provided several results. This even included several video links with chefs preparing various thanksgiving meals.

The worst is Syndic8.com. It's layout is not very attractive and it is all text. As a search tool it provided no results for a simple search for "children's library programs". I also searched for other library related searches and it provided rather poor results that were outdated and not approved by the website.

I also loved Topix.net. I searched for Queens NY related news posts and blogs, and I received great results. It was up to date and I loved the fact that you can get news and feeds that relates to your location. I also like the categorization of the various forums and polls and the interactive graph that illustrates the popularity of of your search query in the past year. The cohesiveness of the layout demonstrates that this is a wonderful search tool and because of this it provides a rather popular and active online community.

For news lover like me it is great to be caught up in the feeding frenzy.

No comments: